Thursday, June 7, 2012

May 29

          We started out a little later than usual this morning. I had been feeling slightly unmotivated to get up and Caleb had not woken up at all. The night before I had been repeatedly woken up by someone moving in their bed. It must have been the girl next to me because she had moved the floor by the morning. There was no snoring, until I thought about how nice and quiet it was. Then someone started snoring.
          We left the albergue at 7am and ate our breakfast as we walked. It would only be a 21km day, so we had plenty of time. By 10am we had reached the top of the day's tallest hill and stopped for a sandwich break. Near the end of the days walk a sheperd took a large herd of sheep on the trail in front of us. There was one shepherd, four sheepdogs, and about one hundred sheep. They completely took over the trail and we ended up walking behind them for several hundred meters before they were led off of the side of the trail. I thought it was funny.
          We reached the town at noon and entered an albergue that was run by a convent. I took a shower and did my laundry immediately so I could hang my clothes before the hottest part of the day was finished. Next Caleb and I went to explore the town of Santo Domingo.
          The shops were closed and there didn't really seem to be much to explore, but we had a snack at a restaurant and walked down a few of the streets looking at buildings and shops. Then we headed back to the albergue and spent some time sitting in the albergue's courtyard and reading.
          Around 7pm we went out for dinner. There was a menu de peregrino served at a bar close by, so we went there to eat. I had asparagus, pork loin, and swiss almond cake for dessert. It took us a while to figure out how to pay for a meal. I have never been in a country before where it was difficult to give people money. Eventually we were able to pay and head back to the albergue for the night.
(Written May 29)

No comments:

Post a Comment