Friday, June 29, 2012

June 3

          We got up before sunrise and started to pack our things. It was 5am. We wanted to start earlier today because it would be a longer day than the ones before. We left in the dark and started walking. I accidentally left my towel hanging on the laundry rack and didn’t realize it until much too late. Around 8:30 we stopped for tea and pastries at a little café. If we had not gone so far the day before we would have stopped there for the night.
          We kept walking until 11am, when we took a quick lunch break. There was little about the hike that was different than the other days, except that it was muddy. We spent a lot of time hiking across mesas, which was pretty cool. The sky wasn’t sure how it felt today. For most of the morning it was drizzling, but then the sun came out for a while. The entire day was pretty cloudy. Thankfully, it didn’t rain hard.
          We got to the albergue in Fromista around 2:30pm and checked in, took showers, got settled, did laundry, etc. We had planned to take a bus to Leon so we could skip a few days and be sure to make it to Santiago before I had to fly home, but the tourist office was closed. We talked about it for a little while and decided to try to push a little faster and see if we could make it on foot. I didn’t feel sore at all after our 35k day, so hopefully we are in good enough shape to make it at this point. I fell asleep for about an hour and afterwards we went out in search of a café.
          We ended up getting some ice cream and hanging out at a café on the street. At 7pm we got dinner. We were pretty tired, so we headed back to the albergue for the night. It is a little weird, but it seems my biggest fear is that someone will steal my earplugs and I will never be able to sleep again. Although it is slightly ridiculous, I still keep them on my person at all times to make sure I don’t lose them. I had a great idea for my novel today, but I didn’t bring the right journal with me. All I had with me was a small notebook. I must have been insane to think it was safe to leave my journal behind.
(Written June 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment